Sunday, December 22, 2013

How I Apply & Practice (Jungian) Gnostic Tolkienology (Part I)

Through these I have successfully achieved gnosis through Faerie.

Carl Jung absolutely influences my approach to Gnostic Tolkienology and attaining a state of Faerie or in other words entering into Faerie. Archetypes, the collective unconscious, the complex and synchronicity are all applied. 

Faerie to me is the Collective Unconscious as Jung put it. This coralation has been around since the 70's as far as I can tell. I was born in 1991 but I would assume (with my research) it was the late 70's to late 80's that Faerie and the Collective Unconcious has been seen as one in the same by some people. 

So if Faerie is another word for the Collective Unconcious then Faerie is full of archetypes. This can be seen immediately by reading the first few pages of the Silmarillion. The Creator archetype is reflected in Eru Ilúvatar. 

The Complex helps me better understand Tolkien and Myself. I understand he wanted the story to be the focal point and not the author. So in respect I do it sparingly when trying to understand the mind of the professor.

Synchronicity is noted mentally and on paper as it happens. I believe through documenting those moments or string of events helps me better understand and receive information through Faerie and the mundane. It could be somewhat compared to a dream journal (which I also try to keep). 

If you are familiar with Jungian Psychology then you know of his mental digging excercise, as a way to deal with an internal problem. He imagines himself digging and digging until he "breaks through" and solves the problem. I take this excersice and apply it two ways. The excercise as two physical and one mental practice (with a twist). Mental: I imagine myself in a mine in Middle-Earth digging until I breakthrough. I call the moment of break through "Finding Mithril". Physical: I write essays within the scope of Gnostic Tolkienology until I break through. Usually with writing the breakthrough is an unexpected surprise. By continuously reading and re-reading within the Legendarium I also experience breakthroughs.

Through comparative folklore studies I also gain a deeper understanding of the archetypes and the collective unconcious (Faerie) and it definitely seems to help with the over all gnosis.


Meditation on the Valar and specific texts keeps me on the Path. As well as just reflecting on the various stories within the Legendarium. Clearing my mind of internal dialogue and focusing on nothing but breathing, is a good way to clear the mental clutter. 

I use the four-fold breath when it is hard to clear the internal dialogue, at first. After a time I let the counting of breaths fade away until my mind is clear.

When I meditate it is in a comfortable position. I do not do any of the eastern positions. I find myself to concerned if I am sitting right, and staying distracted on that than the actual meditation. I do the occasional walking meditation, especially if I need a clear mind.

I have found just the right amount of tobacco, alcohol and a third "ingredient" help in a semi-shamanistic way. Tobacco and alcohol was generously enjoyed by J.R.R. Tolkien himself. It is my belief that his pipe and mug helped put his mind in a state to be more receptive to gnosis via Faerie. So when the opportunities arise I make sure I am well fed and then enjoy a beer and a pipe. Then I write, read or meditate. Though this does not happen as much as I would like.

Then there is the act of facing West before meals and during meditation, reading, writing etc. as often as I can. This ritual is obviously symbolic, but it keeps me "in tune".